2011年3月6日

Brand obsession in Japan

This is my favourite video about Japan and some Japanese cultural phenomena. For those who do not have access to youtube, here is another link for this video: http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTYxNjg0MDM2.html
When it was posted in youtube, many people criticisized it as a racism video. But actually it was made by a Japanese man. I personally don’t think it is that bad and it reveals a lot of interesting facts about Japan and Japanese people.
It actually reminds me a lot about the things I saw in Tokyo when I traveled to Japan in 2009 especially how Japapnese girls are obsessed with luxury brands. Here are more statistics.  In Japan, 94% of the women won LV handbangs in their 20s. 50% of the LV sales were achieved in Japan. I remembered when my friend fist visted Japan, she described to me that every girl in Ginza was holding a LV bag. This is a very interesting scene.


Most my Japanese friends in Japan have their part-time jobs after school. Most of the time, they can afford a LV bag after working for about a month. So money is not a very big deal. What makes it important is social recognition. Japan is a typical Asian country where people care very much about how they are viewed by others in the society. This psychology is especially notable in Japan as it is an island country where people are very insecure.
Anyway, Japan is indeed a strange and intesting country. There would be more to talk about next time.
If you are an Asian, do you have similar obsession about brands? If you are not Asian, how do you view this? Share with me.
Share/Bookmark

没有评论:

发表评论