2011年3月7日

Uniform Culture in China, Japan and the U.S.

I remember when I was in school, there were always discussions about whether students should wear uniform to school. Some say that dressing all the same shows no personality as a student but some argue that students can be less distracted with uniforms.

I am actually a supporter of the uniform culture. There were a lot of good memories about commenting on uniforms and cutting out the uniforms to make it better looking but not too much to be discovered by school officers.

In Asia, the uniform culture might be more prevalent. I seldom see students wearing the same in the U.S. In China, most schools have uniforms, some cities have their unified uniforms too. And we wear uniforms to school everyday to look trim. The same thing happen in Japan and Korea.

In China, the styles of uniforms are always pretty conservative and drab. Most of the time, uniforms are designed in a very sporty way. The color will most likely be blue, black and white. Here is a typical Chinese style uniform.


And although throughout the years, the uniforms in China still tend to be comparative more conservative, many students are getting very creative to make their uniforms more stylish.

It looks great, but you always have to be careful to wear like this to school because you might not be allowed to enter. Luckily, I have heard that many schools in China now are thinking about reform their uniforms and make them with more style. Great news. Hope to see some surprises.

Even though,  the uniform culture in Japan is still much more colorful. Japan is always very famous for its uniform culture. Every school in Japan has its own designed uniforms. Some of them are more beautiful and stylish. Many Japanese students even choose a school to attend based on the style of its uniform. So Japanese schools make a lot of efforts to design the uniforms beautiful.
 I think every girl would be very happy to wear uniforms like this. But are you brave enough to wear skirts this short even in very cold winter like the weather here in Boston? I know Japanese girls surely will!
However, here in the U.S. uniform culture is totally a different picture. Most public schools do not have uniforms. Students can basically wear whatever they like. Uniforms may exist in some private schools or mission schools.To be frank, altohugh I have been here in the U.S. for more than 6 months, I have never seen students wearing uniforms. I tried to google "American uniforms" and all I got were military uniforms. So like most of other Chinese people, my knowledge of American's uniform comes from TV. America is not really a country of fashion. Compared to Japan, France or Italy, people might be less likely to describe American as stylish. However, the uniforms in some TV series, for example Gossip Girl, are very enjoyable to watch.

But people usually say that dramas are the exaggeration of real life. So I guess I still have very limited ideas about the uniforms in American schools.

If you love your uniforms in school, tell me about it and share with me.
Share/Bookmark

没有评论:

发表评论