2011年3月29日

Used to think....And then I find out about this country

I have been learning English and culture for more than 10 years. I used to think that I knew this country pretty well. And I had a lot preconcepts about the people and things in the U.S. But when I finally get here, studying and staying with local people, I find out that actually many things are not the same as what I expected.

1. I used to think that student in America spend very little time on study and they don't work very hard. But I find out that they are very diligent. If you are in the librarary around mid night, most of the students who are still studying are locol.
2. I used to think that Asian students must be way better than American students at maths. But then I find out that there are a lot of American students who are very clever and good at maths.

3. I used to think American schools are like the ones in Gossip Girls. Parties, alcohol and intricate relationships. Well, some of them might look a little similar to the students in Gossip Girls. But most of them look different. Many of my classmates and friends treat relationships very serious and some of them get marry at a very young age!!

4. I used to think that New York city must really be a metropolis. But it turned out to be a messy and crowded city with disappointing subway system. Yes, it does look fantastic from the top of the Empire State Building, but it's far away from the one in pictures and TV.

5. I used to think that there must be many obese people here because American people eat a lot of junk food. But I find out that many people actually have very good figures. They go to gym a lot and pay much attention to keep fit. There are many obese people, but very interestingly they look free and natural, and live their live with their with attitudes.

6. I used to think that people here must be more stylish than China cause fashion industry here is more developed. However, what I see most are plain colored hoodies with university logos and slacks. People don't seem to care a lot about how they look, but how whether they feel comfortable in those clothes.

Anyway, things always look different than expected. That's the fascination of experiencing and traveling. I still like this country very much. I have been here for 7 months now. There are a lot of things that I still have experienced. Maybe some of my understandings are still wrong, but I can get to know more as time passes.
Share/Bookmark

没有评论:

发表评论